Line-up and headline sponsor announced for the Late Shows 2022
One of the biggest events in Newcastle and Gateshead's cultural calendars, The Late Shows will return in May 2022 after two years of cancellations due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The Late Shows is sponsored by The Biscuit Factory, the UK’s biggest independent art, craft and design gallery in Newcastle’s cultural quarter.
The award-winning late-night free culture crawl - featuring open art studios, music, performance, galleries, museums and a host of the most bizarre and intriguing interactive events - is facilitated by Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums (TWAM) and this year features over 40 cultural venues across Newcastle and Gateshead.
Attracting over 35,000 visits each year for the two-day event – now in its 14th edition – The Late Shows is a well-established part of the cultural calendar in the North East, and allows participants to curate their own experience from the vast choice on offer.
Rachel Brown, General Manager of The Biscuit Gallery, said:
“The Biscuit Factory is proud to support Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums in bringing this year’s Late Shows to Newcastle and Gateshead.
“As headline sponsor, we’re delighted to be supporting such an exciting programme of events and activities that showcase the vibrant arts and cultural offer here in our region.
“We can’t wait to welcome visitors to Ouseburn, for our evening of art, craft, literature, theatre and disco as we join more than 15 other independent venues in the valley opening their doors after hours to show off the creative heart to this wonderfully eclectic, and often undiscovered, cultural quarter within the city. We hope you all enjoy the experience!”
Bill Griffiths Head of Programmes at Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums, said:
“We are excited to bring the Late Shows back after two years when we couldn't host it due to the Covid-19 pandemic. It is must-see fixture in our region’s cultural calendar and we’re looking forward to welcoming people back to enjoy a range of activities and experiences hosted by Newcastle and Gateshead’s wonderful cultural venues.”
A selection of the programme for 2022:
Friday 13 May – Ouseburn only
- From the studio to the stage, join The Biscuit Factory for an evening of cultural happenings. See part of the gallery transformed into an art studio, where you are invited to join artist Megan Randall to mould and shape ceramic forms, which in their hundreds will come together as one installation to mark The Biscuit Factory’s 20th anniversary year. Get involved in an experiment in making urban venues friendlier on your brain - a project designed by spatial thinker Helena Seget. Dance like no-one is watching at the Silent Book disco with a thematically curated playlist from Forum Books, and tour the gallery to uncover flash-mob Shakespeare with actors bursting into short performances within the crowd, courtesy of People’s Theatre.
- Join Northern Print in collaboration with Muddy Fingers Pottery to experience the magic of Raku.
- Visit The NewBridge Project’s new space at the Shieldfield Centre and explore the bookshop, gallery, print studio and project space. Join their fantastic team of printmakers in the NewBridge Print Studio for a range of drop-in activities, where you will have a chance to try screen-printing and risograph printing techniques.
- Join the Ouseburn Farm gang for a farmyard Hootenanny, with live music, farm food, and maybe even some line dancing. Yeehaa!
- Visit Seven Stories for a night of magic and storytelling.
- Join the community of arts organisations that reside within Christ Church, with an array of opportunities to try new skills, watch performances as well as a variety of exhibitions that look at the History of Christ Church and Shieldfield.
Saturday 14 May – Newcastle, Gateshead and Quayside only
- Enjoy an evening of culture and mindfulness at BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art. Take part in a mindful art workshop in Front Room led by a BALTIC artist and visit the special residents in a Kittiwake tour. Drop-in and relax with a free hot drink and snacks, at the beginning or end of your evening.
- Release your inner child at Discovery Museum with an evening of retro fun with 80s inspired music, games and challenges.
- Come enjoy the latest addition to Gateshead’s cultural scene. Orbis Community is a multi-site project bringing together the creative businesses of Ampersand Inventions, Atlas North East, Vane gallery and a whole lot more. See exhibitions, open studios, buy a work from local makers and artists, or take part in a workshop and take away your own creation.
- The beautiful Jacobean public rooms in Bessie Surtees House will be open to view.
- Explore different areas of Life Science Centre at twilight. Wonder at Gaia – the mesmerising, glowing, seven-metre replica of Planet Earth. Take an easel and create your own masterpiece, inspired by an astronaut’s view from Space. See the brand-new live planetarium show, and get creative with silk banner painting, bug hotels and other hands-on activities in the Making Studios.
- Make your way to the The Hub, Arcadea on the 5th floor, Kelburn House for an immersive exhibition of life-sized animal busts handmade by artists at the HUB and ICEbox. Enjoy the sights and sounds of the plains, poles, sea, sky and fantasy realms!
- Visit Newcastle Cathedral to experience their magnificent Lantern Tower. They will be running Tower Tours throughout the evening.